Window Terminology (k-z)

Window Terminology
The hook-shaped piece of hardware that it is mounted on the inside of sash stile of a casement window in which the sash lock engages.
Not assembled. Parts for a window frame pre-manu¬factured for assembly later on on a job website.
A projecting molding by the sides and about the top rated of an opening.
Label cease:
Ornamental projection on just about every close of a label, sill, or sill program. Generally can take the condition of a gargoyle or other ornamental carving.
Labeled window:
Windows bearing hearth-rating labels of Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL).
Laminated glass:
Equivalent to the construction of auto windshields, this strategy sandwiches a piece of transparent film or plastic among two panes of glass. Generally utilised for security causes due to the fact of its resistance to shattering. Also lower sound transmission to the interior.
Lancet window:
Tall, narrow window with a pointed-arch top rated, usually with leaded diamond shaped lights attribute of Gothic architecture.
Lattice window (also lozenge):
Window with glazing bars established diagonally.
Lead light (also guide glazing stained glass): Window with compact panes of glass established in grooved rods of cast guide or came. The glass may well be apparent, coloured, or stained.
A manage or grip installed on the bottom sash rail of a double-hung window to assist in the raising or reducing of the sash.
Mild (also lite):
A window a pane of glass within just a window. Double-hung home windows are designated by the range of lights in the higher and lower sash, as in 6-about-6.
Horizontal member (wood, metal, or stone) about a window opening to aid the body weight of the wall earlier mentioned. A header.
Loop window (also Balistraria):
A extended and narrow vertical opening, typically widening inward, cut in a medieval wall, parapet, or fortification for use by archers. Modifications show up in Roman¬esque Revival architecture.
Reduced-E Glass:
A term utilised to refer to glass which has reduced-emissiv¬ity owing to a film or metallic coating on the surface area of the glass. Normally created of twin, sealed panes of coated glass crammed with pure inert gas to block ultraviolet heat, for cooling reasons, even though reflecting home heat back into the home for heating reasons.
Laminated Veneer Lumber – A mixture of quite a few items of veneered lumber glued jointly to give additional structural capabilities. Generally utilised in window or doorway frames.
Masonry Opening:
The house in a masonry wall remaining open up for the window or doorway.
Conference rail (also lock rail):
One of the two horizontal members of a double-hung sash which come jointly. A check rail.
Conference stile:
The vertical member in a pair of stiles, as in abutting casement home windows.
Mold stone (also jamb stone):
A stone that serves as a window jamb.
A slot or rectangular cavity cut into a piece of wood to obtain a different element.
Mortise and tenon:
A robust wood joint built by fitting jointly a mortise in just one board and a matching projecting member (tenon) in the other.
A vertical member (typically wood or metallic) to structurally be part of two window or doorway units.
Vertical or horizontal bars utilised to different glass in a sash into numerous lights. Generally identified as a grille.
Nailing Fin:
A vinyl or aluminum extension attached to the frame of a window or doorway which makes a optimistic seal be¬tween the window and the framed wall. Acts as an extra barrier in opposition to air and h2o leakage. Screws or nails are fixed by the fin to hold the unit in the opening.
NFRC label:
NFRC stands for the Countrywide Fenestration Rat¬ings Council. This non-financial gain trade group sets power criteria for home windows – the NFRC label displays every thing you need to know about the window you might be
North-light roof:
Sawtooth roof with north-struggling with clerestory home windows.
Ogee curve (also ogee molding):
Reverse flex curve usually found in window moldings and trim items.
Operable window:
Window which can be opened for air flow.
A metallic arm and equipment attached to a window which al¬lows for simple procedure.
Palladian window:
A huge, arch-top rated window flanked by scaled-down home windows on just about every side.
Normally refers to the glazed panel or panels in a doorway frame.
Parting slip:
A skinny wood strip separating the sash weights in the body weight box of just about every jamb of previous double-hung home windows.
Parting cease:
A vertical strip on just about every jamb that separates the sash of a double-hung window.
Photograph window:
Huge set home windows.
Pivot window units:
Window units in which the sash hardware is found close to the midpoint of the stile or rail to permit sash rotation.
Prime sash:
Balanced or relocating sash of a window unit.
Prime window:
Window with single or numerous glazing. A storm sash may well be installed.
Projected window:
Awning style window that swings both inwards or outwards at the top rated or the bottom. The window typically may well be cleaned from the inside of.
A diamond- or square-shaped glass piece established diagonally. A medieval term for compact panes of glass established diagonally in Gothic home windows.
Queen Anne window:
A window with compact glass home windows or lights organized in various types, typically only on the higher sash. Appeared l870s.
Horizontal member of a window sash or doorway panel.
Plastic or wood molding place in a concrete or masonry opening for a uniform groove for a spline-style gasket to hold window glass.

Reversible extension blind cease:
An extension blind cease that is rabbetted to obtain l/two or 25/32-in. sheathing.
Tough Opening:
A framed opening in which the unit will be installed.
The measurement of resistance to heat transfer in a product. The larger the R-Worth, the increased the insulation value.
Framework of stiles and rails in which the glass of a window or doorway is established.
Saddle bar:
Mild metal bar positioned horizontally throughout a window to stiffen leaded glazing.
Saddle bead:
Glazing bead for securing two panes.
Sash lock:
A lock applied to the window to pull the sash tightly in opposition to the frame (casement) or to pull the check rails jointly (double-hung) in buy to seal the sash from weather conditions and for safety.
Solitary-hung window:
Window identical to double-hung window, except the top rated sash is stationary.
Seat board:
A flat board cut to fit the contour of a bow or bay window and installed among the sill and the wall surface area, delivering a seat or a shelf house for plants, etcetera.
Shading coefficient:
Decimal value which is the solar attain of a window, divided by the solar attain for a apparent single-glass
window of the same sizing. The shading coefficient of apparent, double-glazing is about .eighty five to .nine.
Side light: A set, usually narrow glass window subsequent to a doorway opening or window opening.
Sill: Horizontal member at the bottom of the window frame.
Simulated divided lights: A method in setting up home windows or doorways in which muntins are set to the inside of and exterior of the insulated glass panel to simulate the seem of a legitimate divided light. Present day Divided Light® in EAGLE terminology.
Solitary glazing: Use of single panes of glass in a window sash or doorway panel. Not as successful as double glazing.
Solitary-hung window: Window identical to double-hung window, except the top rated sash is stationary.
Slide-by window: Windows which slide horizontally.
Smartwindow: Generic term that refers to home windows with switchable coatings to command solar attain.
Good frame: Window frame built from a single piece of lumber.
Audio-insulating glass (also seem-resistive glass): Double glass set on resilient mountings and separated so as to lower seem transmission.
Splayed window: Window unit established at an angle in a wall.
Stacked home windows: Blended grouping of awning, casement, or non-operative home windows to type a huge glazed unit.
Stile: Vertical member of a window sash or doorway panel.
Stile Lug or Horn: One of two extensions of the sash stiles to aid the higher sash of a double-hung window.
Storm clip: Product attached to the muntin of a metallic sash to cease the pane from relocating outwards.
Stool: An interior trim on a window which extends the sill and acts as a narrow shelf. Generally seen on double-hung window.
Prevent: A wood trim member nailed to a window frame to hold, placement or different window parts.
Tandem lock: A locking method which secures the window at two locking factors by the procedure of just one lever.
Tempered glass: Specific heat-dealt with, significant-strength security glass which shatters into pebble-sized particles and not in slivers.
Tenon: A rectangular projection cut out of a piece of wood for insertion into a mortise.
Thermal crack: A thermal insulating barrier among two thermally conductive elements.
Transom joint: Horizontal member separating a doorway from a window panel earlier mentioned the doorway, or separating just one window earlier mentioned a different.
Transom: Little window found earlier mentioned a doorway or a different window.
Major hung-in window: An awning window pivoted at the top rated and with the bottom swinging-in.
Transom (also transom bar):
Horizontal member separating a doorway from a window panel earlier mentioned the doorway, or separating just one window earlier mentioned a different.
Triple glazing:
Three panes of glass with two air areas among, com¬monly consisting of an insulating glass with a different storm sash. Also obtainable in an insulating window in a single frame.
Triple window:
Usually refers to any tripartite group of home windows with square heads. Identified on Colonial Revival homes. Models propose Palladian home windows but are significantly less costly to assemble.
Measurement of heat transfer by a presented mate¬rial. The lower the U-Worth, the greater the insulation value.
Venetian window:
Exact same as Palladian window.
Vertical sliding window:
One or additional sash that move in a vertical course.
Look at sash:
Photograph window with the lights divided by muntins.
Venting unit:
A window or doorway that operates or opens for air flow.
Clean cut:
Beveled cut in a stone sill to divert h2o.
Water drip:
Molding often utilised on exterior surfaces of an in-swinging casement sash to protect against h2o from getting driven about the sill.
A strip of resilient product applied to the perimeter of the sash and/or frame of a window or doorway to minimize the probable for h2o and air infiltration.
Weep cut (also drip cut):
Groove in the underside of a horizontal board or masonry unit which initiatives outside of the wall support down below to protect against h2o from relocating back towards the wall surface area.
Head window jamb in a box window frame.
Yorkshire light:
Window with just one or additional set sash and a horizontally relocating sash.
The pressure exerted on a surface area by relocating air.